Empress of the Universe

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Mark This Date on Your Calendar


A very frightening lead headline on the AOL homepage this evening warns:

Asteroid Speeds Toward Earth
U.N. Is Urged to Take Charge
What Are the Odds It Hits Us?


Well, I don't know about you, but that sure got my attention! After all, I saw the movie Armageddon. I remember the fear, panic, potential devastation so narrowly averted by Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, and a young Ben Affleck.

Call the air force, the National Guard, somebody boil some water! The headline was doing its job -- I had to read this urgent story. I had to know what our government is doing to protect us from this looming doom. I had to know NOW!

Wait! Let me save you some time: Mark the date April 13, 2036 on your calendar. Unless you're over the age of 75, then I’m thinking that you probably don't have to worry about it. In fact, I'm not all that worried about it myself and I'm only (!) 46. It's still 29 years away. An awful lot can happen in 29 years.

Imagine if you had read such a warning in 1979 about a catastrophe due to happen today? Would you have done anything differently in the past 29 years? Called your mother more often? Eaten more chocolate cake? Not quit smoking? Had more sex?

OK, so cancel those calls to the military, maybe even the UN. But keep the water boiling – there's still lots of time for a nice cuppa tea.


Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was taken aback when the news woke me this morning of the asteroid heading straight at us. I figured that I had nothing to fear but what about my kids?
Don't worry, some red neck cowboys will head up there on some new fangled rocket and save the world. If we haven't figured this out in the next 29 years we'll have to wonder where Superman is.
Sit back, boil that water and have your cup of tea. Enjoy.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home