Empress of the Universe

Monday, September 04, 2006

Back to School Blues

I have the back-to-school blues.

But it's not what you might think: it's because, for the first time in more than 20 years, I am NOT seeing my daughter off to school. After five years of university, five years of high school, eight years of elementary school, and two years of kindergarten, we are NOT shopping for new shoes, school uniforms or colored pencils. NO last-minute late August hair cut, Sponge Bob back pack or looseleaf paper to buy.

This year, there's not even a "Bye Mom, off for frosh week, call you in a couple days" as she drives off, hatchback overflowing with blankets, groceries and homemade lasagne.

We didn't go to Grand and Toy, Staples or Wal-mart. The last five years our back-to-school ritual was a trip to Ikea. Not this year. I think the last store we went into together was Shopper's Drug Mart, to buy a wedding card for Shannon's university friends who were tying the knot this weekend.

Right about now, every year for the past five, I've cried as Shannon has driven off for a new year at university.

Today, on this back-to-school eve, I shed a tear because she isn't.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart is breaking for you....I can't even imagine what it will be like when I am in your shoes. The years go by so fast...what you take for granted today, you may long for tomorrow. It's so sad.
On the brighter side....now you can make new traditions with Shannon!!

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No need to worry - I did more than my share of back to school blathering today....in fact, enough for all of us.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your back to school blog was cute! I am looking forward to the day when I can say that "I say that now" but I’m sure I’ll miss it when it’s not an option. Like when the girls stopped having “loot” bags at their birthday parties. I went out kicking & screaming for Normandy’s last one.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home